I first heard of this story a week ago and have been following it since (in attempt to make myself feel better about the direction Bermuda is headed):
Texas schools to get controversial syllabus
Education officials in the US state of Texas have adopted new guidelines to the school curriculum, which critics say will politicise teaching... Critics say the changes are ideological and distort history. However, proponents argue they are redressing a liberal bias in education... But during the discussions some of the most controversial ideas were dropped - including a proposal to refer to the slave trade as the "Atlantic triangular trade"... Opponents of the changes worry that textbooks sold in other states will be written to comply with the new Texas standards, meaning that the alterations could have an impact on curriculums nationwide.
- Referring to the slave trade as the "Atlantic triangular trade".
- Diminishing the role Thomas Jefferson and the idea of the Separation of State and Church
- Casting the United Nations in a critical light as a threat to sovereignty
- Promoting American ideals as beneficial for the world
- Emphasizing the role of religion in America's founding
- Promoting the superiority of the capitalist system
- Toning down criticism of McCarthyism
The rest of the world is laughing at how absolutely ridiculous this is and the hypocrisy is incredible. In any other country it would have been laughed off as a complete joke, no one would have expected it to be serious and yet... America is another world too.
I wonder who else may want to rewrite history? Surely no one in Bermuda... that would be silly.